- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 whole garlic bulb, separated into cloves and peeled
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onions, celery and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add leeks and carrots; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add water, mushrooms, parsley, thyme, salt, peppercorns and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined colander; discard vegetables. If using immediately, skim fat. Or, refrigerate 8 hours or overnight; remove fat from surface. Broth can be covered and refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 4 to 6 months. Yield: 5-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Vegetable Broth in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2006, p57
Reviews for Vegetable Broth(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review