Vegetable Beef Stew
“I love pot roast, but since I live alone, I find it easier to cook stew meat,” Roberta Young writes from San Diego, California. “I cook 3 pounds of lean beef stew meat or a roast I cut up myself…whatever’s on sale. Then I make my recipe for Beef Stew Mix (recipe also in Recipe Finder), divide it up in three containers and freeze. You can alter the seasonings, if you wish.”
Roberta uses one
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-2/3 cups beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, cut into small wedges
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 batch Beef Stew Mix, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a saucepan, combine the broth, carrots, potato, onion and celery.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or
- until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in beef mix. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir
- into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 448 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 116 mg cholesterol, 877 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 41 g protein.