Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1. Place roast in a large Dutch oven. Add the water, barley, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat; cool. Cut into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth. Add beef and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 18-20 servings (6 quarts).
1-1/4 cup: 163 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 235mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Vegetable Beef Soup
"This soup is delicious. It makes a really big amount. I was able to freeze some to enjoy later."
"This was an overall good recipe but i think it was lacking flavor. A few quick tweaks to the spices and I feel that this will become a regular. I cooked it in my pressure cooker and it did a wonderful jo"
"Added some cabbage and loved it"
"The soup is great, however, I've made it two ways. One way with Ditalini (added in at the end) and the other way with Barley. In both versions I've used Progresso Beef Broth and Goya Beef bouillon and a packet of Beef Onion Gravy mix. The Ditalini version has better flavor by far. I also subbed out the tomatoes for a mixture of Del Monte diced tomato with Jalapeno and Del Monte Italian style stewed tomatoes. At the end added in a few shots of Worcestershire. The pasta version gives a flavor that matches the aroma, where the barley version seems to have a weaker flavor and aroma. In both version the finished product came out to 12 quarts."
"Good recipe, but needs beef bouillon or broth added for flavor -without may lack taste & be "watery". Will use again with this modification"