Vegetable Beef Soup for 50 Recipe
Do you cringe at the thought of making soup for a crowd? This wonderfully seasoned soup with a rich broth is really quite easy.—Elsie Schimmer, Grand Island, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Cook: 2-1/2 hours YIELD:50 servings
- 8 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 6 quarts water
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1/4 cup beef bouillon granules
- 2 cups medium pearl barley
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 pound chopped cabbage
- 1 pound onions, chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen green beans
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large Dutch oven, brown the meat in oil in batches; drain. Transfer to a large stockpot; add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, water, tomato sauce and juice, bouillon and barley.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables and meat are tender. Remove bay leaves. Yield: 50 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 221 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 547 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC