- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups baby carrots, halved
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups beef broth
- 4-1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in pepper and salt; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onions, carrots and parsnip in butter for 7 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in flour.
- Combine the broth, vinegar and mustard; gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beef mixture and 2 teaspoons rosemary; heat through. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 10-in. square. Sprinkle with remaining rosemary; press into pastry. Place over filling; flute edges and cut slits in top. Brush with egg.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Vegetable Beef Potpie
"My kids loved this recipe, especially the top crust. While cooking this, they kept asking me when it was going to be done because it smelled so good. They were glad they waited, because they didn't know I was putting the crust on top, which made it even better. Thank you so much for this recipe. I will be making this often for my kids."