Vegetable Beef Chili
Marlene Muckenhirn's chili is big on fresh tomato taste. Says the Delano, Minnesota cook, "This recipe works well in a slow cooker."
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer
- pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, green peppers, onions and garlic.
- Cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are
- tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and seasonings; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, for 45-50
- minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 194 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 614 mg sodium,