Marlene Muckenhirn's chili is big on fresh tomato taste. Says the Delano, Minnesota cook, "This recipe works well in a slow cooker."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, green peppers, onions and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and seasonings; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Chili in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p12
Reviews for Vegetable Beef Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 19, 2016
"Very good the entire family liked this. I have made it 4 times now. Using those tomatoes up from the garden."
Reviewed Nov. 12, 2013
"USED 2 POUNDS OF LEAN GROUND TURKEY, INSTEAD OF GROUND BEEF. NO ONE NOTICED, THEY ALL LOVE IT."