Marlene Muckenhirn's chili is big on fresh tomato taste. Says the Delano, Minnesota cook, "This recipe works well in a slow cooker."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 medium tomatoes, cubed
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, green peppers, onions and garlic. Cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and seasonings; mix well. Simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Chili in Taste of Home August/September 1995, p12
Reviews for Vegetable Beef Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 12, 2013
"USED 2 POUNDS OF LEAN GROUND TURKEY, INSTEAD OF GROUND BEEF. NO ONE NOTICED, THEY ALL LOVE IT."
Reviewed Jan. 16, 2010
"I make this w/ground turkey and cook it in the crockpot. It's really healthy and delicious!"