Vegetable Beef Casserole Recipe
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups cut fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a 3-qt. casserole, layer half of the potatoes, carrots, celery, green beans and onion. Crumble half of the uncooked beef over vegetables. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon each of thyme, salt and pepper. Repeat layers.
- 2. Top with tomatoes. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake about 1 hour longer or until vegetables are tender and meat is no longer pink. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted.
- 3. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 243 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Vegetable Beef Casserole
"I put garlic cloves (minced) in the meat, added some creaole seasoning and it was pretty good. My family wants it again.Next time I will add bacon."
"I made this for our meal this evening and my husband and I really liked it. All I substituted was canned green beans for the fresh or frozen and Prairie Heritage Herbs for the thyme. Prairie Heritage Herbs is a blend my mother made up and now I continue to make it especially before Christmas for little gifts. Thanks for a great recipe that I plan to prepare when our sons and daughter-in-law are home next time.Lynette"