Vegetable Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the seasoned salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Add beef and toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and bouillon. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are almost tender.
- 3. Add the corn, tomatoes, peas, tomato juice, barley, salt and pepper; cover and cook 2 hours longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups: 364 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 852mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 8g fiber), 22g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
"Very good. Used ground beef and added the onion and garlic powder to the mixture. Used frozen peas and corn. Good combination of flavors."
"We liked this soup. It's a keeper."
"Here are some changes I made; soak the barley for a few hours,drain. Then,use veg stock in stead of water.No bullion cubes(salty).I used a small can of salsa in stead of the tomato juice.If possible refrigerate over night the taste will be greater.Oh yes I used ground hamburger and after draining l added it at the end of the cooking period."
"I made this soup exactly as the recipe calls for, except that I cooked it on the stove instead of a slow cooker. It was great! I will definitely make it again."
"Tasty, but I had to add more tomato juice as it wasn't "brothy" enough for my tastes. Will make again, for sure."
"One of the best soup recipes I have tried."