Vegetable Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) peas, drained
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the seasoned salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Add beef and toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and bouillon. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat and vegetables are almost tender.
- 3. Add the corn, tomatoes, peas, tomato juice, barley, salt and pepper; cover and cook 2 hours longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
1-1/3 cups equals 364 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 852 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.