- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups water
- 3 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, carrots and celery over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in the water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley, garlic powder and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Soup in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p19
Reviews for Vegetable Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2012
"I have made this soup numerous times. It is very hearty tasting even though it is a lighter calorie soup. My husband also loves it, especially because of the barley."