Vegetable Bean Chili Recipe
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (8 ounces) picante sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a 4-qt. kettle or Dutch oven, saute zucchini, green pepper, onion, carrots, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in tomatoes, picante sauce, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add beans and olives; heat through. Garnish with cheese. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium bouillon and served with reduced-fat cheese) equals 250 calories, 10 g fat (0 saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 863 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.