Vegetable Bean Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, basil and dill in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water, carrots and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add the pork and beans, zucchini, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and vinegar; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 218 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 1003mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Vegetable Bean Barley Soup
"I was thinking this would be a bit better. I thought the barley would make it a hartier soup. I thought the cider at the end left a bitter bite too. I followed the recipe exactly. My only change being that I bought quick barley accidentally. So, I just halved the second cook time. To the individual servings I added croutons and some grated parmesan. That helped with the flavor."
"This was very good!!"