This hearty soup is as filling as it is comforting. Full of zucchini, barley, tomatoes and carrots, it's one recipe that people always ask me for.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) pork and beans
- 2 small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, basil and dill in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water, carrots and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the pork and beans, zucchini, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and vinegar; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Bean Barley Soup in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p27
Reviews for Vegetable Bean Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review