Says Ellen Govertsen of Wheaton, Illinois: “This hearty side dish has colorful green snow peas, red pepper and just a hint of lemon to give it a fresh springtime taste. It can be served either warm or cool.”
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh snow peas
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in barley and salt. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- In a small skillet, saute snow peas and red pepper in oil for 2 minutes. Add onions; saute 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove barley from the heat; stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel and vegetable mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Barley in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p19
Reviews for Vegetable Barley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review