Vegetable Barley Soup
People always comment on the wonderful flavor and are often surprised to hear that a tough of mint is added to the broth.—Mary Kay Dixson, Decatur, Alabama
12-14 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + simmering
- 1-1/2 quarts beef broth
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except the
- cheese; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours.
- Top each serving with cheese if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings
- (3-1/4 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 90 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 652 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.