People always comment on the wonderful flavor and are often surprised to hear that a tough of mint is added to the broth.—Mary Kay Dixson, Decatur, Alabama
- 1-1/2 quarts beef broth
- 1 can (46 ounces) V8 juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup medium pearl barley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine all ingredients except the cheese; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours. Top each serving with cheese if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Vegetable Barley Soup in Taste of Home June/July 1996, p41
Reviews for Vegetable Barley Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 6, 2009
"This recipe had good flavor. I changed it a little. I had leftover veggies from another meal. Family liked it even the kids"