Vegetable Barley Saute Recipe
This wonderful side dish can easily be turned into a hearty entree by adding cooked chicken.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, optional
- 1. Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl, combine, water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add carrots and beans; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add onions; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir the soy sauce mixture; stir into the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add barley; heat through. Stir in cashews if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
2/3 cup: 149 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Vegetable Barley Saute
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC