Vegetable Barley Saute
This wonderful side dish can easily be turned into a hearty entree by adding cooked chicken.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cut fresh green beans (2-inch pieces)
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews, optional
- Prepare barley according to package directions. In a small bowl,
- combine, water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok, saute garlic in oil for 15 seconds. Add
- carrots and beans; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add onions; stir-fry for
- 2-3 minutes. Stir the soy sauce mixture; stir into the skillet.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add
- barley; heat through. Stir in cashews if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 149 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 707 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein.