Vegetable Barley Bake Recipe
Forget the potatoes and rice, and consider this change-of-pace dinner accompaniment from Shirley Doyle. The Mt. Prospect, Illinois reader relies on wholesome barley for the heart-smart dish that complements most any main course.
- 3 medium sweet red or green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute peppers, mushrooms and onions in butter 8-10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in broth, barley and pepper.
- 2. Cover and bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 157 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Vegetable Barley Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC