Vegetable Barley Bake
Forget the potatoes and rice, and consider this change-of-pace dinner accompaniment from Shirley Doyle. The Mt. Prospect, Illinois reader relies on wholesome barley for the heart-smart dish that complements most any main course.
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min.
- 3 medium sweet red or green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute peppers,
- mushrooms and onions in butter 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir
- in broth, barley and pepper.
- Cover and bake 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until
- barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 157 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 153 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.