Vegetable and Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. Remove and discard skin from chicken; rinse and pat dry. Place chicken pieces in a Dutch oven; add 3-1/2 cups water, dill, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and parsnips. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- 2. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to a large bowl; keep warm. Bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour, cream and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 460 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 42g protein.
Reviews for Vegetable and Chicken Stew
"chicken Stew Recipe was just wonderful.Yes, I would make it again and agan."
"This recipe came together easily and was hearty and satisfying . I thought it needed a bit more salt and pepper though, as the seasoning was a bit bland for my taste."