Vegetable and Chicken Stew Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds), cut up
- 4 cups water, divided
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- Remove and discard skin from chicken; rinse and pat dry. Place chicken pieces in a Dutch oven; add 3-1/2 cups water, dill, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes and parsnips. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to a large bowl; keep warm. Bring cooking juices to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour, cream and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Vegetable and Chicken Stew(2)
Sort By :
Chicken Stew Recipe was just wonderful.
Yes, I would make it again and agan.
This recipe came together easily and was hearty and satisfying . I thought it needed a bit more salt and pepper though, as the seasoning was a bit bland for my taste.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Chicken Stew Recipes >
- Chicken Stews >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Stew Recipes >