Vegetable and Barley Pilaf Recipe
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Saute zucchini and carrot in butter in a large saucepan until crisp-tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
- 2. Stir in the onions, marjoram, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 219 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 480 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Vegetable and Barley Pilaf
"I substituted 1tsp herbs de provence for the marjoram. Very tasty, everyone loved it."
"Thought this was very good, though it needed some more spice. I'll be making this one again! Thanks!"
"I made this tonight exactly as written, but thought it was bland. If I make it again, I will definitely add something to give it more zip."
"very yummy!!! and easy to make!"