Hearty, colorful, easy and fast were the reviews we gave this good-for-you dish. Barley has a healthy amount of soluble fiber, which aids digestion. And it can help to lower cholesterol, too! You can easily substitute other fresh veggies you have on hand. —Jesse Klausmeier, Burbank, California
- 1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Saute zucchini and carrot in butter in a large saucepan until crisp-tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in barley. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Stir in the onions, marjoram, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable and Barley Pilaf in Simple & Delicious February/March 2013, p30
Reviews for Vegetable and Barley Pilaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review