This rice dish is great when you crave Creole but don’t have chicken or sausage on hand. — Crystal Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the green pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in beans; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Veg Jambalaya in Taste of Home February/March 2013
Reviews for Veg Jambalaya
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review