Veg Jambalaya Recipe
This rice dish is great when you crave Creole but don’t have chicken or sausage on hand. — Crystal Bruns, Iliff, Colorado
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the green pepper, onion and celery; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the water, tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in beans; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 281 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 796 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC