Veal Shank Fricassee Recipe
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 veal shanks (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups water divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and seasonings. Add veal shanks; seal and turn to coat.
- 2. In a Dutch oven or large skillet, brown veal in oil over medium heat. Pour 1-1/4 cups water into pan; add the onion, celery and bay leaf. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 3. Add carrots and potatoes; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter and keep warm. Pour drippings and loosened browned bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat and discard bay leaf.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and the remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir in the drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with meat and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving equals 703 calories, 27 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 218 mg cholesterol, 2,578 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 56 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.