Veal Cutlet with Red Peppers Recipe
I've made this for many guests over the years, and they all tell me how much they enjoy it. It's very pretty with red bell pepper. —Karen Johnson
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Cook: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds veal cutlets (about 1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1. Place veal in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, oil, lemon peel, garlic, sugar, salt, paprika, mustard and nutmeg; reserve 2 tablespoons. Pour remaining marinade over veal. Let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- 2. Discard marinade from veal. Place flour in a shallow dish; coat veal with flour, shaking off excess. In a large skillet, brown veal slices, two at a time, in 4 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- 3. In the same skillet, saute the onions, red peppers and mushrooms in remaining butter until tender, stirring to loosen browned bits. Stir in broth and reserved marinade; cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- 4. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Add the veal; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC