Veal Breast with Farfel Stuffing Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup rendered chicken fat or canola oil
- 4 cups matzo farfel
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bone-in veal breast with pocket (8 pounds)
- Olive oil
- 1. In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in chicken fat until tender. Add farfel; cook and stir over medium heat until lightly browned. Stir in the parsley.
- 2. Combine the egg, broth, salt, sage, paprika and pepper; add to farfel mixture. Cook over low heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Just before baking, evenly stuff the farfel mixture into the veal breast pocket; close and tie several times with kitchen string. Place in a greased shallow roasting pan. Brush veal with oil.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160° for veal and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 pound: 425 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 435mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein
Reviews for Veal Breast with Farfel Stuffing
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.