Vanilla Walnut Crescents Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla; add to crumb mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- 2. Divide dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 10-in. circle. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/4 cup over each circle. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- 3. Roll up each wedge from the wide end and place point side down 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Whisk egg white until foamy; brush over crescents. Sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 cookie: 110 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 48mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Vanilla Walnut Crescents
"These are exactly like rugelach cookies, albeit these are made with sour cream versus a cream cheese in dough. They came out very tender and tasty. Takes a little time to make dough, chill and roll out...but they are lovely to look at and delicious to eat. Next time I'd add mini choc chips and some berry jam, as others have mentioned. But terrific recipe as is. :)"
"Excellent. Beautiful. Perfect."
"This is an excellent recipe. I've made it several times and it's turned out delicious every time. When I don't have any sour cream on hand, I substitute the sour cream with a homemade substitute (1 tsp. vinegar, 2/3 cup milk powder, 3/4 cup water blended smooth - makes one cup) and it still turns out the same. Thanks for sharing!"
"Yum! I made them exactly as the recipe said and they are wonderful! Thanks for sharing!"
"make them for every holiday, family expects them..."
"I made these as part of a cookie assortment to give as gifts this year and they were so delicious! Our whole family got involved with making them, too. My husband rolled out the dough, our youngest daughter sprinkled the filling onto the dough and our oldest daughter rolled them up for me. Very good and they will become a new holiday staple for us!"
"Excellent cookie. No need to alter recipe."
"Yummy treat. Nice flavor. easy to make as long as the dough is COLD. Next time I make these I think I'll try adding a little almond flavoring to dough. I would do this one again. My husband LOVES them!"
"My family LOVED them"
"Very good. Flaky and oh-so-delcious. Did not last very long in my house!"
"These were wonderful.I also added mini choc. chips to this rcipe"