- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg, separated
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla; add to crumb mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Divide dough into thirds. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 10-in. circle. Combine the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 1/4 cup over each circle. Cut each circle into 12 wedges.
- Roll up each wedge from the wide end and place point side down 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Whisk egg white until foamy; brush over crescents. Sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 3 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Walnut Crescents
"Excellent. Beautiful. Perfect."
"This is an excellent recipe. I've made it several times and it's turned out delicious every time. When I don't have any sour cream on hand, I substitute the sour cream with a homemade substitute (1 tsp. vinegar, 2/3 cup milk powder, 3/4 cup water blended smooth - makes one cup) and it still turns out the same. Thanks for sharing!"
"Yum! I made them exactly as the recipe said and they are wonderful! Thanks for sharing!"
"make them for every holiday, family expects them..."
"I made these as part of a cookie assortment to give as gifts this year and they were so delicious! Our whole family got involved with making them, too. My husband rolled out the dough, our youngest daughter sprinkled the filling onto the dough and our oldest daughter rolled them up for me. Very good and they will become a new holiday staple for us!"