Vanilla Wafer Fruitcake Recipe
- 1/2 pound candied cherries
- 1/2 pound candied pineapple slices
- 1 pound walnuts, pecans or combination of both
- 1 pound vanilla wafers
- 1/4 pound raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1. Set aside four whole cherries, two pineapple slices and 16 pecan or walnut halves. Chop remaining fruit and nuts. Crush vanilla wafers; combine the chopped fruit, nuts and raisins and set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs well. Stir in sugar, salt and milk. Combine wafer/nut mixture with egg mixture. Pack into a waxed paper-lined 10-in. tube pan. Decorate top with reserved whole fruit and nuts. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge; turn cake out of pan, then back over again so decorations are on top. Cake can be made ahead and frozen; taste improves with age. Yield: about 40 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 183 calories, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 64 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.