- 1/2 pound candied cherries
- 1/2 pound candied pineapple slices
- 1 pound walnuts, pecans or combination of both
- 1 pound vanilla wafers
- 1/4 pound raisins
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- Set aside four whole cherries, two pineapple slices and 16 pecan or walnut halves. Chop remaining fruit and nuts. Crush vanilla wafers; combine the chopped fruit, nuts and raisins and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat eggs well. Stir in sugar, salt and milk. Combine wafer/nut mixture with egg mixture. Pack into a waxed paper-lined 10-in. tube pan. Decorate top with reserved whole fruit and nuts. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge; turn cake out of pan, then back over again so decorations are on top. Cake can be made ahead and frozen; taste improves with age. Yield: about 40 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Wafer Fruitcake(2)
Sort By :
My Mom makes and sells this cake every Christmas making very good money. Everyone raves about it. So glad I found this recipe.
I have looked for this recipe for years. My mother-in-law cooked this every year for Christmas. i never liked fruitcake until I tried her's and I was hooked after that. No other fruitcake can come close to this one. After her death I was unsure of the amount of milk to add to her recipe. I have tried to make it using what I though was the correct amount, but it was not the same. Her version is a little different from this one, but it taste almost the same. Thank you for bringing my favorite Christmas cake back to me!
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >