- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Wafer Cookies
"This is a very crisp and buttery cookie. That's perfectly shaped. It's a nice Choice for the Holidays. The taste is very similar to Pressed Cookies. One could certainly dress them up with a singular pecan half on top. Some Colored Sugar would make another nice topping. Dressed up or down its a very good Cookie Jar Filler.I reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup. Next time I'd like to try both Brown and white sugar.Janie Taste of Home volunteer Field Editor."
"Wonderful, beautiful cookie! Quickly baked up beautiful round circle cookies- used smallest cookie scoop. Half pressed with sugar the other half glass pressed with cinnamon & sugar. Baked as directed for 11 min. Let them cool completely on cookie sheet. Very fragile when warm but perfect when cool. As a volunteer field editor with Taste of Home, I enjoy making classic recipes that can be put together quickly."
"very easy to make! taste like a yummy sugar cookie!"
"Although I used 1/2 cup white and 1/4 cup brown sugar, I still found them plenty sweet enough. Making these as written would be far too sweet for our liking. A solid 5 stars with less sugar. Will definitely be making these again!"
"I found this recipe in my 1998 TOH Annual book and finally made it today. Wish I would have tried it years ago! Crunchy and chewy at the same time, these little cookies are packed with big butter and vanilla flavor. We love them!"