- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Wafer Cookies
"very easy to make! taste like a yummy sugar cookie!"
"Although I used 1/2 cup white and 1/4 cup brown sugar, I still found them plenty sweet enough. Making these as written would be far too sweet for our liking. A solid 5 stars with less sugar. Will definitely be making these again!"
"I found this recipe in my 1998 TOH Annual book and finally made it today. Wish I would have tried it years ago! Crunchy and chewy at the same time, these little cookies are packed with big butter and vanilla flavor. We love them!"
"Wonderful! I just made these with my 3 year old son and they are delicious! Vanilla Wafers are his favorite snack and I am so glad to have found this recipe so he can enjoy them homemade!!!"
"<p>I am craving banana pudding but did not have vanilla wafers handy. Instead of using expensive gasoline to run to the grocery store, I found this recipe and it seemed simple to make. I followed the directions and they are excellent and as easy as it sounds. The picture shows thin cookies. I used my palms and made round balls and placed on the baking sheet lined with silicon liner. They came out more rounded, light on top and brown on bottom. Once they cool, they are crisp with a slightly soft center. Delicious!</p>"