- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Ring Cake
"This cake doesn't have much flavor. What little flavor it does have just isn't my taste. Might be better with a chocolate or strawberry glaze."
"Maybe it was my oven- but I baked for 55 minutes and it was way too dry- taste was ok- but will bake 5 or 10 minutes less next time"
"This was very good. The only adjustment was that I used half butter flavored shortening and half regular. I didnt have buttermilk so I mixed a cup of milk with 1 TBSP of lemon juice let sit for 5 min before using it. It came out very light and fluffy."
"This cake is simple to make but definatly lacking in flavor. It is way too sweet and I even took out a quarter cup of the sugar. The batter mixed up so nice and fluffy and I was excited to see the results but was ultimately dissappointed. My kids who love everything I bake even said this wasn't their favorite. A simple strusel coffee cake is loads better. This cake is not worth the calories. Wont be making again."
"Surprisingly delicious cake. Even though the recipe explains extra vanilla extract, I admit I was a bit skeptical but I followed the instructions and it was great. Also it very easy to make."
"This was easy to make and my family loved it...even my husband who isn't a sweet eater!! It will be a new favorite for us!!"
"Very good cake; a bit on the sweet side, but then again, it is a cake! I think this could also easily be made into a lemon ring cake by substituting lemon extract for the vanilla."
"This cake was too dense. Didn't taste right without any salt to add depth of flavor."
"The cake was delicious and very moist. Beating the shortening and sugar well created a fluffy cake good even w/o drizzle. Tasty w/ strawberries."
"Cake was very dry and had little vanilla flavor. I'm planning on tweaking the recipe and trying again before I call it quits."