Vanilla Ring Cake Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 466 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Vanilla Ring Cake
"Maybe it was my oven- but I baked for 55 minutes and it was way too dry- taste was ok- but will bake 5 or 10 minutes less next time"
"This was very good. The only adjustment was that I used half butter flavored shortening and half regular. I didnt have buttermilk so I mixed a cup of milk with 1 TBSP of lemon juice let sit for 5 min before using it. It came out very light and fluffy."
"This cake is simple to make but definatly lacking in flavor. It is way too sweet and I even took out a quarter cup of the sugar. The batter mixed up so nice and fluffy and I was excited to see the results but was ultimately dissappointed. My kids who love everything I bake even said this wasn't their favorite. A simple strusel coffee cake is loads better. This cake is not worth the calories. Wont be making again."
"Surprisingly delicious cake. Even though the recipe explains extra vanilla extract, I admit I was a bit skeptical but I followed the instructions and it was great. Also it very easy to make."
"This was easy to make and my family loved it...even my husband who isn't a sweet eater!! It will be a new favorite for us!!"
"This cake was too dense. Didn't taste right without any salt to add depth of flavor."
"cake was very dry and had little vanilla flavor. I'm planning on tweaking the recipe and trying again before I call it quits."
"cake was pretty but dry."
"Made in a Bundt pan and had to bake it for 50 min. just to get the middle cooked all the way but then the sides and top were over done (almost burned.) It came out dry and crumbly. Disappointed."
"Make good shortcake. I have added blueberrys, another time chocolate chips. Just stir in after you pour batter in pan"
"I thought this cake was good. It was not dry, but I do agree it would be good as strawberry shortcake or maybe boston creme in the middle. crtipp"
"What a disappointment! I really had high hopes for this cake! According to all of the ingredients,it sounded like this cake would be great. It was dry and flavorless, even with two tablespoons of vanilla.I tweaked the recipe and used butter and cake flour instead of shortening and all-purpose flour. It might be good as strawberry shortcake though. Lori"
"My daughter and I tried this twice in the last 2 days. Both times it fell in the middle and is very dense and heavy. Any suggestions of what we are doing wrong. The only change we made was to use reconstituted buttermilk. Help - I'm almost out of eggs now! :)"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.