Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add cream; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in milk and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
1/2 cup equals 187 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 reduced-fat milk, 1 fat.
Reviews for Vanilla Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.