Vanilla-Glazed Apple Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely diced peeled apple
- 1 cup raisins
- VANILLA GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and milk. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts, apple and raisins.
- 2. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 each: 212 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Vanilla-Glazed Apple Cookies
"Delicious! I have to agree with another reviewer who said these cookies don't require the glaze as they're sweet enough without . I also cut the brown sugar to 1 cup & the amount of cloves to 1/4 tsp. per another reviewer's suggestion. Used chopped pecans instead of walnuts as that's what my family prefers. Will definitely make these again."
"I made the recipe, left out the nuts and baked 8 min at 400. They burned. Turned it down to 350 and they were okay. Who bakes cookies at 400????"
"Excellent. Used golden raisins. Will dice the apple more finely next time as larger thin slices made the dough hard to handle. Did not glaze these, and they didn't need it as they were plenty sweet already."
"I really enjoyed these. They made the house smell wonderful!http://carriescookiecountdown.blogspot.com/"
"they were just ok. easy to make but the taste was just plain."
"I made them just like the recipe except for the raisins. The first dozen turned out ok, but the next dozen spreadout way too much. The next time I think I will add oats and use part wheat flour. I also did not like the cloves in the cookies."
"Very good! Just made some, with the alterations of whole wheat flour, pecans instead of walnuts, and added some oats (maybe about 2/3 c.) as well. Very hardy little cookies!"
"We really like these. I forgot the nuts, but they were still good. I substitute sprouted wheat flour, and it worked perfectly!"