"This delicious fruit-and nut-packed cookie recipe was my mother's, and it has been one of my mother's, and it has been one of my favorites for many years," offers Sharon Crider from Junction City, Kansas
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup finely diced peeled apple
- 1 cup raisins
- VANILLA GLAZE:
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 4 teaspoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 400°, In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and milk. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts, apple and raisins.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla, salt and enough milk to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm cookies. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Vanilla-Glazed Apple Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2004, p53
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla-Glazed Apple Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review