Vanilla French Toast
We discovered this recipe in Mexico. We couldn't figure out what made this French toast so delicious until we learned the secret was vanilla—one of Mexico's most popular flavorings. Since then, we've added a touch of vanilla to our waffle and pancake recipes. It makes them all very tasty. —Joe and Bobbi Schott, Castroville, Texas
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 slices day-old bread
- Maple syrup or cinnamon-sugar
- In a shallow bowl, beat eggs; add the milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Soak bread for 30 seconds on each side. Cook on a greased hot
- griddle until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Serve
- with syrup or cinnamon-sugar. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3 slices) equals 332 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 218 mg cholesterol, 558 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.