Vanilla Flan Recipe
Sweet, creamy and comforting, flan is a universally known Spanish dessert. The rich treat is the perfect finale to a spicy meal, especially when served with a cup of strong coffee.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 5 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar begins to melt. Using a pastry brush dipped in cold water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, without stirring, until amber brown, about 25 minutes.
- Quickly pour into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan, tilting to coat bottom of pan. Place pan in a large baking pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. In a blender, combine eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla. Cover and process 1 minute or until well blended. Slowly pour into prepared baking pan.
- Add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove baking pan from water bath; cool 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To serve flan, run a knife around edge of pan; quickly invert onto a rimmed serving dish. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Vanilla Flan in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p98
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Flan(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review