Vanilla Custard Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Sliced strawberries or other fresh fruit, optional
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Pour in milk and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour and remaining sugar; add to pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. While beating, gradually add yolks. Stir in 1 cup of hot milk mixture. Return all to kettle; cook and stir for 2 minutes (do not boil). Chill. Add cream and vanilla; mix well.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with fruit if desired. Yield: about 3 quarts.
Originally published as Vanilla Custard Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p67
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2014
"This recipe is easy to make and it so good."