Vanilla Custard Ice Cream Recipe
"When we were growing up on the farm, homemade ice cream was our favorite dessert," recalls Lucile Proctor of Panguitch, Utah, who now makes it for her own family. Enjoy her recipe "solo" or topped with sauce, fruit or nuts for a spectacular sundae.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Sliced strawberries or other fresh fruit, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Pour in milk and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining sugar; add to pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
- 3. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. While beating, gradually add yolks. Stir in 1 cup of hot milk mixture. Return all to kettle; cook and stir for 2 minutes (do not boil). Chill. Add cream and vanilla; mix well.
- 4. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with fruit if desired. Yield: about 3 quarts.
1/2 cup: 244 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC