Vanilla Custard Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Sliced strawberries or other fresh fruit, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Pour in milk and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Combine flour and remaining sugar; add to pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
- 3. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. While beating, gradually add yolks. Stir in 1 cup of hot milk mixture. Return all to kettle; cook and stir for 2 minutes (do not boil). Chill. Add cream and vanilla; mix well.
- 4. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with fruit if desired. Yield: about 3 quarts.
1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 244 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
"This recipe is easy to make and it so good."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.