- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Sliced strawberries or other fresh fruit, optional
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Pour in milk and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour and remaining sugar; add to pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. While beating, gradually add yolks. Stir in 1 cup of hot milk mixture. Return all to kettle; cook and stir for 2 minutes (do not boil). Chill. Add cream and vanilla; mix well.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with fruit if desired. Yield: about 3 quarts.
Originally published as Vanilla Custard Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p67
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 20, 2014
"This recipe is easy to make and it so good."