Vanilla Custard Ice Cream Recipe
"When we were growing up on the farm, homemade ice cream was our favorite dessert," recalls Lucile Proctor of Panguitch, Utah, who now makes it for her own family. Enjoy her recipe "solo" or topped with sauce, fruit or nuts for a spectacular sundae.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 cups milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Sliced strawberries or other fresh fruit, optional
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter. Pour in milk and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Combine flour and remaining sugar; add to pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes; remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. While beating, gradually add yolks. Stir in 1 cup of hot milk mixture. Return all to kettle; cook and stir for 2 minutes (do not boil). Chill. Add cream and vanilla; mix well.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with fruit if desired. Yield: about 3 quarts.
Originally published as Vanilla Custard Ice Cream in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p67
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Custard Ice Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream >