Vanilla-Butter Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Food coloring, optional
- Colored sugar
- In a bowl, combine sugar and butter; beat until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture until completely blended. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with holiday cutters dipped in flour. Using a floured spatula, transfer cookies to ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, combine sugar, butter, vanilla and milk; beat until creamy. Thin with additional milk to desired spreading consistency if necessary. Add a few drops of food coloring if desired. Spread frosting over cookies and decorate with colored sugar. Yield: 7 dozen (2-1/2-in. cookies).
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla-Butter Sugar Cookies
Sort By :
I first made these cookies for the first time this past Christmas and then I made them again for Valentine's day to take as treats for work.This is hands down one of the best cookie recipes around. I was looking for a recipe that could compete with one my mom has that uses Crisco . My goal was to find a recipe that uses butter that is easy to work with and has a similar taste to the one my mom uses. A bite of these cookies is like a little bite of heaven. When rolled out a little thicker they are a little crunchy on the bottom, but very soft as well. My coworkers went nuts over these cookies. They said they were the best sugar cookie they ever tasted. One of them said these cookies taste like happy childhood memories. The dough is super easy to work with and it smells so good while you're working with it. I used my own buttercream frosting recipe instead of the one provided and I've been using home made vanilla extract and using double what the recipe calls for. You can't go wrong with this one.
Best sugar cookies ever!!
I made these today for Christmas. I thought the dough was very easy to work with. I did not use the frosting recipe provided, so I can't rate that. However the cookies were excellent. They have a light buttery flavor with a hint of vanilla. Very tasty and not overwhelming on any one flavor. I will make these again for sure.
Help..... Is it really 2 TABLESPOONS vanilla?
This is the only sugar cookie recipe I will ever use! No one can turn them down..you can roll thin and make crispy or thick and make soft and gooey, and they still come out great! I have used countless recipes for sugar cookies over the years but kept trying different one's until I found the perfect one...this is it!