Vanilla-Butter Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Food coloring, optional
- Colored sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine sugar and butter; beat until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture until completely blended. Chill for 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with holiday cutters dipped in flour. Using a floured spatula, transfer cookies to ungreased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. For frosting, combine sugar, butter, vanilla and milk; beat until creamy. Thin with additional milk to desired spreading consistency if necessary. Add a few drops of food coloring if desired. Spread frosting over cookies and decorate with colored sugar. Yield: 7 dozen (2-1/2-in. cookies).
2 cookies equals 158 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.