- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon clear or regular vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Paste food coloring, optional
- Assorted decorations, optional
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2 to 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat together butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach desired consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. Spread or pipe onto cookies; decorate as desired. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews for Vanilla Butter Rollouts
"I halved the recipe today and it made 3 1/2 dozen. I make alot of different cookies for Christmas. I have to say I have been looking for a different cut cookie for the holidays, and this is the ONE!!! I left it in the fridge for 50 minutes and had to put left over scraps back in there to the end. Very tasty indeed..Baked them 8 minutes just till slightly brown at edge. These cookies are even good without icing!!! This is a keeper..Thanks for the great recipe...Irene"
"Excellent flavor, and easy to handle. I made two batches of these, and they are hard to keep around!"
"Great flavor and perfect for decorating!"
"THESE COOKIES HAVE A CALE LIKE TEXTURE. i PREFER A CRISO SUGAR COOKIE. tHE CUTOUTS SPREAD AND ARE LARGER THAN THE COOKIE CUTTER. fOR ME THE FLAVOR WAS RATHER BLAND. WILL NOT MAKE AGAIN. BUT ALL THIS IS A MATTER OF TASTE."
"The best sugar cookie cutout recipe I've come across!"
"We made these for Christmas last year and they were so yummy! I can't wait to mke them again!"
"Very easy to roll out, as long as you keep the thickness to 1/4" or more, the cookies cut and bake with no problems! Delicious flavor as well."
"I made the cookies for my son's class to decorate at their Christmas party, and they got rave reviews. All of the kids asked for more, saying they were "the best cookies ever!" I will be making more for my family party this week. :)"
"This is my favorite roll-out recipe. I have made it the original way as well as substituting some of the vanilla with almond or orange extract for a different flavor, ie:2 tsp orange extract, 1 tsp vanilla. Everyone loves these cookies! However, I have had trouble with the frosting recipe, and now use a different one. But overall, very good!"