Vanilla Butter Rollouts Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Colored frosting and sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters dipped in flour. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread or drizzle over cookies. Decorate with colored frosting and sugar if desired. Yield: about 7 dozen.
2 cookies equals 182 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 173 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Vanilla Butter Rollouts
"I halved the recipe today and it made 3 1/2 dozen. I make alot of different cookies for Christmas. I have to say I have been looking for a different cut cookie for the holidays, and this is the ONE!!! I left it in the fridge for 50 minutes and had to put left over scraps back in there to the end. Very tasty indeed..Baked them 8 minutes just till slightly brown at edge. These cookies are even good without icing!!! This is a keeper..Thanks for the great recipe...Irene"
"These are the ONLY cut-out cookies I make for whatever holiday is going on - Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc. - my kids and family LOVE these cookies! These are very tasty and the dough is very easy to roll-out and work with. Once I found this recipe, it's the only one I use now."
"Excellent flavor, and easy to handle. I made two batches of these, and they are hard to keep around!"
"Great flavor and perfect for decorating!"
"THESE COOKIES HAVE A CALE LIKE TEXTURE. i PREFER A CRISO SUGAR COOKIE. tHE CUTOUTS SPREAD AND ARE LARGER THAN THE COOKIE CUTTER. fOR ME THE FLAVOR WAS RATHER BLAND. WILL NOT MAKE AGAIN. BUT ALL THIS IS A MATTER OF TASTE."
"The best sugar cookie cutout recipe I've come across!"
"We made these for christmas last year and they were so yummy! I can't wait to mke them again!"
"Very easy to roll out, as long as you keep the thickness to 1/4" or more, the cookies cut and bake with no problems! Delicious flavor as well."
"I made the cookies for my son's class to decorate at their Christmas party, and they got rave reviews. All of the kids asked for more, saying they were "the best cookies ever!" I will be making more for my family party this week. :)"
"This is my favorite roll-out recipe. I have made it the original way as well as substituting some of the vanilla with almond or orange extract for a different flavor, ie:2 tsp orange extract, 1 tsp vanilla. Everyone loves these cookies! However, I have had trouble with the frosting recipe, and now use a different one. But overall, very good!"
"These cookies roll out great and are very tasty! I am retiring my old rollout recipe and replacing it with this one from now on!"
"Tried these today and they were the easiest rollout cookies I have ever used!"
"These are WONDERFUL cookie recipes !Patricia"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.