Vanilla Butter Cutouts Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with lightly floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate as desired. Yield: about 7 dozen.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Butter Cutouts(4)
Sort By :
Good. Swell up a lot baking. Place further apart on the tray. Remain soft after baking.
I have also read that the combiniation of baking soda and cream of tartar act as baking powder. Probably produces a reaction that rises cookie, but also keeps it light and flaky (as cheriwinkle stated).
ashleygirl-cream of tartar helps to make your cookies light and tender (as it does with biscuits!)
what does the cream of tarter do for cut out cookies?