Vanilla Apple Bran Muffins Recipe
A hint of vanilla and apple sweetens the flavor of these moist and tender muffins. Tony Flores bakes them up in no time flat for a hearty morning treat in Edinburg, Texas.
- 2-1/2 cups bran flakes, crushed
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium McIntosh apple, peeled and shredded
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the bran flakes, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil, syrup and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apple.
- 2. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 160 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC